Can India’s health and healthcare systems ramp up on mission mode to respond effectively to the COVID-19 pandemic? What should we know about India’s messy public and private healthcare systems before we think about a pandemic response? Listen to Yamini Aiyar’s conversation with Pavan Srinath on Episode 135 of The Pragati Podcast.
[iframe src=’https://webplayer.adorilabs.com/e/IVKtfkEeWgqTTrPc’ width=’100%’ height=’304′ frameborder=’0′ scrolling=’no’ allow=’autoplay’]
Yamini Aiyar from the Centre for Policy Research provides some much-needed context on health systems in India, and recorded this episode on March 26, 2020, just as the India-wide lockdown began. In this episode, Yamini provides a sound framework of ideas to evaluate government actions since then, as well as the coming weeks and months.
The Pragati Podcast is a weekly talk show on public policy, economics and international relations hosted by Pavan Srinath.
Yamini Aiyar is the President and Chief Executive of the Centre for Policy Research (CPR), Delhi. Her research interests are in the field of social policy and development. In 2008, Yamini founded the Accountability Initiative at CPR, which has done pioneering work on governance, state capacity and social policy in India, and pioneered a new approach to tracking public expenditures.
Further reading & listening:
- [Podcast] Yamini Aiyar and Jishnu Das on health systems challenges and COVID-19.
- [Article] COVID-19: Centre and states must work together.
- [Article] COVID-19 will test, reshape the state.
- [Research] Jishnu Das and Jeffrey Hammer on the Quality of Public & Private healthcare in Delhi.
- [Research] Hammer, Aiyar and Samji on Panchayati Raj institutions and health services.
- [Research] Das et al on healthcare provider training and huge quality gaps in urban and rural India.
This is the 6th podcast episode on various aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic hosted by Pavan Srinath, across The Pragati Podcast, Thale-Harate Kannada Podcast & BIC Talks. You can find links to all of them here.
If you have any questions or comments, do send an email to [email protected], we would love to know what you think of the show.