In this episode, Prakhar Misra (@PrakharMisra) is back on Puliyabaazi to discuss the political economy of the 1991 reforms. We discussed the dominant economic and political narratives since independence up to the 1991 reform. Prakhar is currently working on the Indian political economy at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University. Prakhar is a part of The 1991 Project that documents essays, data visualizations, oral histories, podcasts, and policy papers demystifying the Indian economy and the 1991 reforms.
- Puliyabaazi #101 with Shruti Rajagopalan
- The 1991 Project — the project portal. Read Prakhar & Shreyas’ essay here.
- The M document — A paper for internal discussion in government prepared by Montek S Ahluwalia, Special Secretary to the Prime Minister, in May 1990
- IndiaBefore91.in — Stories of Life under the License Raj
- Arvind Panagariya’s book India: The Emerging Giant
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia’s book Backstage: The Story behind India’s High Growth Years
- Jairam Ramesh’s book To the Brink and Back
Puliyabaazi is on these platforms: