In recent times, the GDP has become less of an economic measure and more of a political tool. Economist Rajeswari Sengupta joins Amit Varma in episode 130 of The Seen and the Unseen to explain what the GDP is, what it is good for, what it is not good for and what the fuss over this figure in India is all about. This episode has immeasurable value.
Also check out:
1. Rajeswari Sengupta’s writings.
2. The Great Indian GDP Measurement Controversy — Rajeswari Sengupta
3. Real GDP is growing at 5%, not 7.1% — Rajeswari Sengupta
4. GDP conundrum: Is India booming? — Rajeswari Sengupta
5. GDP – A Brief but Affectionate History — Diane Coyle
6. Gross Domestic Problem — Lorenzo Fioramonti
7. The Power of a Single Number — Philipp Lepenies