India has endured — but as we celebrate another Republic Day, we must remember that we cannot take this for granted. Historian Ramachandra Guha joins Amit Varma in episode 157 of The Seen and the Unseen to examine some of the currents of history that brought us here, and are still in flux.
Also check out:
1. The books of Ramachandra Guha on Amazon.
2. Ramachandra Guha’s columns in the Telegraph.
3. Understanding Gandhi: Part 1: Mohandas: Episode 104 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha)
4. Understanding Gandhi: Part 2: Mahatma: Episode 105 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Ram Guha)
5. Patriotism vs Jingoism — Ram Guha’s speech at the Kerala Lit Fest
6. The Citizenship Battles — Episode 152 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Srinath Raghavan)
7. A Life in Indian Politics — Episode 149 of The Seen and the Unseen (w JP Narayan)
8. The Intellectual Foundations of Hindutva — Episode 115 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Aakar Patel)
9. Religion and Ideology in Indian Society — Episode 124 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Suyash Rai)
10. Political Ideology in India — Episode 131 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Rahul Verma)
11. The Gita Press and Hindu Nationalism — Episode 139 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Akshaya Mukul)
12. The Indian Conservative — Episode 145 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Jaithirth Rao)
13. India’s Lost Decade — Episode 116 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Puja Mehra)
14. Lessons from an Ankhon Dekhi Prime Minister — Amit Varma
15. We Must Reclaim Nationalism From the BJP — Amit Varma
16. Where Have All the Leaders Gone — Amit Varma
17. Why Nationalism — Yael Tamir
18. Notes on Nationalism — George Orwell
19. The Flaming Feet and Other Essays — DR Nagaraj
20. Becoming the Mahatma — Sunil Khilnani’s review of Ram Guha’s biography.